The process of managing stakeholder engagement starts with identifying your stakeholders. Next, you need to analyze those stakeholders to properly understand them and how best to engage with them. So, what goes into a full stakeholder analysis?
This video is safe for viewing in the workplace.This is learning, so, sit back and enjoy
What goes into a Stakeholder Analysis?
The obvious answer to this is:
- Their power
- Their interest in the project
- And their level of support
Between them, these three characteristics account for the vast majority of simple Stakeholder Analyses we carry out, as Project Managers.
So, What Else is There in a Full Stakeholder Analysis?
In my book, ‘The Influence Agenda’, I divide the things we need to consider into four categories:
- The nature of their stake in your project
- The Intensity or strength of their stake
- Their background and attitudes
- Additional factors that are relevant to stakeholder groups, rather than individuals
Full Stakeholder Analysis: D1: Understand the Nature of their Stake
Helps us answer: ‘What is their agenda?’
- Special Needs
- Ownerships and other control over resources
Full Stakeholder Analysis: D2: Understand the Intensity of their Stake
Helps us answer: ‘What is their priority/saliency?’
- Connection Power
Full Stakeholder Analysis: D3: Understand their Background and Attitudes
Helps us answer: ‘What do we know about the way they tick?’
- What is their past behavior?
- Prior experience
- Prior knowledge and information
- Current opinions
Full Stakeholder Analysis: D4: Additional Factors for Groups
Helps us answer: ‘How does the group work?’
- Internal dynamics
- formal / constitutional
- structural / operational
- informal / political
- Internal dependencies and connections
- Key players and positions
- Demographic make-up
- History and background
- Mission, vision, and goals
- Values, culture, and style
- Strengths and weaknesses
Full Stakeholder Analysis: Questions to Ask, that will Help with Planning
Helps us answer: ‘How can we maximise the value of engaging with this stakeholder?’
- … are they? Where do they fit in their organization?
- … are they connected with?
- … resources do they command?
- … do we want from them?
- … information will they want from us?
- … do they want?
- … do they like to receive information?
- … do they like to communicate?
- What risks do they pose to us?
- What opportunities do they offer us?
Recommended Stakeholder Engagement Videos
I have over a dozen videos about different aspects of Stakeholder Engagement on my YouTube channel. You can find them all in the Stakeholder Engagement playlist.
So, I have carefully curated my top video recommendations for you:
- What is Stakeholder Management? | Video
- Stakeholder Engagement: Five-step Process
- Stakeholder Communication Methods for Stakeholder Engagement…
- My Top 6 Stakeholder Analysis Tools | Video
- Dealing with Difficult Stakeholders – Conversation with Andy Kaufman | Video
- Stakeholder Engagement Tips: 5 Tips For Project Managers | Video
Recommended Stakeholder Engagement Articles
- Stakeholder Performance Domain: Simplicity and Power You Need to Know
- Project Stakeholder Management Knowledge Area: A Guide to Stakeholder Engagement
- The Top 20 Stakeholder Analysis Techniques All PMs Should Know
- How to Plan Your Stakeholder Engagement Campaign
- Stakeholder Engagement Strategies: Don’t Miss 40-plus Ways to Power up Your Project
- Good Customer Service: How to Keep Your Client and Stakeholders Happy
- Win Stakeholder Compliance: Use the 5 Paths to Stakeholder Persuasion
- Stakeholder Engagement: How to Make it Work Effectively in Hybrid Work Environments
- How to Handle Stakeholder Objections
- Stakeholder Leadership: Leading Bystanders as well as Followers
What Kit does a Project Manager Need?
I asked Project Managers in a couple of forums what material things you need to have, to do your job as a Project Manager. They responded magnificently. I compiled their answers into a Kit list. I added my own.
Note that the links are affiliated.
Learn Still More
For more great Project Management videos, please subscribe to the OnlinePMCourses YouTube channel.
If you want basic Management Courses – free training hosted on YouTube, with 2 new management lessons a week, check out our sister channel, Management Courses.
For more of our Project Management videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.
For more of our videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.What Goes into a Full Stakeholder Analysis? | Video Click To Tweet