Health and Safety is nobody’s idea of a fun discipline. The PMI’s PMBOK Guide 7th edition offers one short paragraph on safety and the APM Body of Knowledge talks about health only in the context of stress. But Health & Safety is another thing that is your responsibility as a Project Manager. So, if you decide it is a necessary document to have, how do you write a Health & Safety Plan for Your Project?
This video is safe for viewing in the workplace.This is learning, so, sit back and enjoy
The Five Sections of a Project Health & Safety Plan
- Person or people responsible for the Project and for Health & Safety
- Applicable legal Health & Safety standards, regulations, and legislation
- Applicable organizational or site Health & Safety standards, rules, and policies (like alcohol, protective clothing, etc)
- Specific Health & Safety risks (for example, use of specific equipment or procedures)
- Out of hours working
- Locations of specific H&S equipment
- Address General risks and general activities to maintain good Health & Safety practices.
- Document specific Health & Safety activities to respond to identified risks.
- Set out a process for periodic Health & Safety inspections, reviews, and other checks.
- Emergency procedures
- Emergency contacts
– including the location of the nearest hospital
After a Health & Safety Incident
- Reporting procedures – who, when, how
- Author of Plan
- Authorization by Project Manager and/or Project Sponsor
- Notification to the organization’s Health & Safety lead
Recommended Videos to Help with other Aspects of Your Project Plan
Carefully curated video recommendations for you:
- The Key Deliverable of Your Project Plan | Video
- Project Planning Process – How to Build Effective Project Plans | Video
- How to Build a Great Project Communications Plan | Video
- How to Create a Risk Management Plan | Video
- What if? 10 Things to Build into Your Project Contingency Plan | Video
- Building a Project Plan – Conversation with Kristina Kushner | Video
And some videos that answer the question, ‘what is…
- Capabilities Based Planning – CBP?
- Milestone Planning?
- a Disaster Recovery Plan?
- a Business Continuity Plan?
Recommended Articles to Help with other Aspects of Your Project Plan
- Project Planning Process: Navigate the Many Steps You Need
- 12 Project Planning Mistakes… and How to Fix Them
- Scope Management Plan: Everything You Need to Know
- Capabilities Based Planning: A Primer
- How to Plan Your Stakeholder Engagement Campaign
What Kit does a Project Manager Need?
I asked Project Managers in a couple of forums what material things you need to have, to do your job as a Project Manager. They responded magnificently. I compiled their answers into a Kit list. I added my own.
Note that the links are affiliated.
Learn Still More
For more great Project Management videos, please subscribe to the OnlinePMCourses YouTube channel.
If you want basic Management Courses – free training hosted on YouTube, with 2 new management lessons a week, check out our sister channel, Management Courses.
For more of our Project Management videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.
For more of our videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.