Collaboration is a vital aspect of all Project Management. Yet there are few sources of really helpful, practical advice. Deb Mashek is a psychologist who has just written a fantastic book, Collabor(h)ate that I can recommend to all PMs. So, I wanted to discuss some of its ideas with her.
This video is safe for viewing in the workplace.This is learning, so, sit back and enjoy
What we discussed
- The foundation of Deb Mashek’s book – and her thinking – is a simple model, the ‘Mashek Matrix’. Deb describes how it works.
- Relationship quality is vital to good collaboration and Collabor(h)ate offers nine very practical strategies to improve it. We discuss some that are particularly relevant in the project context.
- Interdependence is the second axis of the Mashek Matrix. And Deb’s book offers 10 strategies to optimize it for the team. Again, we discuss a few favorite examples.
- Collabor(h)ate has a great chapter on creating a workshop and using the Mashek Matrix as a tool to improve collaboration. So, we discuss how Project Managers can build a collaborative project culture.
Deb Mashek, Author of Collabor(h)ate
Deb Mashek is a psychologist who applies relationship science to help people collaborate better. Why? Because skilled collaborators build strong teams, and strong teams build successful organizations.
Deb’s consulting business, Myco Consulting, specializes in helping teams to collaborate. Whether it is establishing a culture of collaboration in a new team, or harnessing the potential of great collaboration in an existing one. Or maybe helping team members who are struggling to connect across lines of difference.
Her new book, Collabor(h)ate is less about how to collaborate and more about creating the conditions for collaboration. And that is something all project managers need.
Connect with Deb Mashek
Recommended Videos to Help with Project Collaboration
Carefully curated video recommendations for you:
- What is Collaboration? | Video
- Real Project Team: What Will You Do to Create One? | Video
- What is Your Psychological Distance? | Video
- Project Team Leadership: 5 Tips for Leading Your Project Team | Video
- 10 Ways to Say Thank You to Your Team | Video
- How to Manage Vendors: Getting the Best Results | Video
- Vendor Management: How to Work with Vendors | Video
- Building Inclusive Teams: A Conversation with Anita Phagura of Fierce Project Management
Recommended Articles to Help with Project Collaboration
- How I Create Exceptional Project Collaboration
- The Four Essentials of Project Team Leadership
- Team Performance Domain: How to Establish a Base for a Successful Project
- Team Ground Rules: Creating the Right Framework for Team Success
What Kit does a Project Manager Need?
I asked Project Managers in a couple of forums what material things you need to have, to do your job as a Project Manager. They responded magnificently. I compiled their answers into a Kit list. I added my own.
Note that the links are affiliated.
Learn Still More
For more great Project Management videos, please subscribe to the OnlinePMCourses YouTube channel.
If you want basic Management Courses – free training hosted on YouTube, with 2 new management lessons a week, check out our sister channel, Management Courses.
For more of our Project Management videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.
For more of our videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.