Project Managers often fear having to deal with difficult stakeholders. But there are plenty of approaches we can take. So, in this video, I discuss ideas with People and Projects Podcast host, Andy Kaufman.
This video is safe for viewing in the workplace.This is learning, so, sit back and enjoy
Andy Kaufman works with organizations around the world helping them improve their ability to lead and deliver. This includes working with leaders at the United Nations and other global clients to teach and coach on topics related to project management and leadership.
Andy started his career as a software developer and was promoted into management for all the wrong reasons! He is the author of three books and host of the acclaimed People and Projects Podcast, which provides free PDUs through interviews and insights for his global listeners.
The title of his podcast tells us all about his approach – the equal importance of People and Projects.
That’s why I wanted to speak with him about dealing with difficult stakeholders.
Dealing with Difficult Stakeholders
- Introducing Andy Kaufman
- The People and Projects Podcast
- Topic: Dealing with Difficult Stakeholders
- What do we mean by ‘stakeholder’? And what are the pitfalls?
- The PMI Definition of a Stakeholder
- Stakeholders: The Ripple Effect
- Which Stakeholders are important?
- Ripple effect metaphor part 2
- Mike’s definition of a Stakeholder
- Other stakeholder engagement traps
- The Power-Interest Matrix
- Keep informed vs Keep satisfied
- Importance of listening to your stakeholders
- Meeting particular needs
- Designing reports around the needs of our stakeholders
- Project reports to stimulate action
- Difficult Stakeholders
- What do you think of, when you’re thinking about ‘difficult stakeholders’?
- Two reasons why people get upset
- Labelling ‘difficult people’
- Important message for project managers
- People want to be listened to
- People become difficult when…
- A good listening-to
- ‘I need your help’
- It’s hard to argue with…
- The ‘left eye tip’
- Power of listening
- Rapaport’s Rule #1
- The power of silence
- Keep your friends close…
- Where to sit when you meet a difficult stakeholder
- Building agreement
- The power of ‘we’
- Stakeholders and Lemmings
- The need for control
- Escalation- let’s escalate together
- Andy’s bonus tip #1: The cardinal law of persuasion
- Andy’s bonus tip #2: The law of gratitude
- And… bonus tip #3: Gratitude not expressed…
- How you end a dialogue
- Accessing the People and Projects Podcast
- New: Lead 52
- Connect with Andy and Mike on LinkedIn
Getting in touch with Andy Kaufman
- Andy’s Website
- The People and Projects Podcast
- Andy’s 5-minute weekly pass to leadership intelligence, Lead 52
Recommended Videos – More to Learn about Dealing with Difficult Stakeholders
Carefully curated video recommendations for you:
- Engaging Stakeholders on Projects: Interview with Elizabeth Harrin
- Stakeholder Engagement Tips: 5 Tips For Project Managers
- Astonish Your Stakeholders… with a Stakeholder Listening Plan
- Overload, Overwhelm, and a Yelling Client (Bullying)
- Challenging Communication Tips for Better Project Communication
- How to Build a Great Project Communications Plan
- Influencing Stakeholders: Start at the Bottom
- Project Communication: Stop Using Telegrams – Get Better Project Results
- How to Understand the Sources of Conflict
And Articles that will help you with managing difficult stakeholders…
- Stakeholder Engagement Strategies: Don’t Miss 40-plus Ways to Power up Your Project
- How to Handle Stakeholder Objections
- The Top 20 Stakeholder Analysis Techniques All PMs Should Know
- Project Stakeholder Management Knowledge Area: A Guide to Stakeholder Engagement
- Stakeholder Leadership: Leading Bystanders as well as Followers
- Good Customer Service: How to Keep Your Client and Stakeholders Happy
- How to Plan Your Stakeholder Engagement Campaign
- 4 Steps to Engage Difficult Stakeholders
- Podcast: Politics and Stakeholders
- How to Get Project Communications Management Right… Every Time
What Kit does a Project Manager Need?
I asked Project Managers in a couple of forums what material things you need to have, to do your job as a Project Manager. They responded magnificently. I compiled their answers into a Kit list. I added my own.
Note that the links are affiliated.
Learn Still More
For more great Project Management videos, please subscribe to the OnlinePMCourses YouTube channel.
If you want basic Management Courses – free training hosted on YouTube, with 2 new management lessons a week, check out our sister channel, Management Courses.
For more of our Project Management videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.
For more of our videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.Dealing with Difficult Stakeholders - Conversation with Andy Kaufman | Video Click To Tweet