Professor Eddie Obeng’s book, ‘All Change!’ has had a big influence on many Project managers – including me! He’s an inspiring educator and an innovative thinker. Stand by to be astonished by some of his insights.
Eddie tells me about:
- Project Zero – the Perfect Project
- The ugly baby
- Vamprojects and Poltergeist Projects
- What happened with ‘agile’…
- ‘Smart Failure’
- The need for ‘prelimination’
This video is safe for viewing in the workplace.This is learning, so, sit back and enjoy
Professor Eddie Obeng
Professor Eddie Obeng is something of a hero of mine – I read his first book when it came out in 1994 and it had a profound impact on me. I have been sharing its ideas ever since.
Not only is Eddie an inspiring educator – at Duke in the US, Henley in the UK, and at Pentacle – his own business school, in the virtual world. But he is also an innovator. A thinker of revolutionary ideas. Change is his stock in trade, and it all began with that first book, All Change: The Project Leader’s Secret Handbook.
That’s why I wanted to speak with Eddie about Change.
Conversation with Eddie Obeng
These are the questions I asked:
- Although it came out in 1994, the ideas in the book ‘All Change!’ are still fresh and valuable for today’s Project Managers. Please can you summarize what you think are the essential lasting insights?
- All Change! identified different types of projects, nearly a decade before we started to distinguish adaptive from predictive projects. How has your thinking on project types and leadership shifted with the growing maturity of agile practices?
- I like the concept of Smart Failure. Can you tell us about that?
- What is the through-line from your early work to today? How do your different sets of ideas connect?
Finally, I’d be remiss if I didn’t ask one of the leading thinkers on Project Management this…
- What trends do you see for the future of Project Management?
Connect with Dr Eddie Obeng:
What Kit does a Project Manager Need?
I asked Project Managers in a couple of forums what material things you need to have, to do your job as a Project Manager. They responded magnificently. I compiled their answers into a Kit list. I added my own.
Note that the links are affiliated.
Learn Still More
For more great Project Management videos, please subscribe to the OnlinePMCourses YouTube channel.
If you want basic Management Courses – free training hosted on YouTube, with 2 new management lessons a week, check out our sister channel, Management Courses.
For more of our Project Management videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.
For more of our videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.