Where to start with setting up governance for your project? That’s the question Rich Maltzman and I tackle, as we don the wings of two Agony Angels.
Welcome to my guest, Rich Maltzman. At the start of the session, we pick a random question from my community about Project Management. We discuss it, and end up with some practical suggestions.
The full question is:
‘I have never had to do this before, but I have been told I need to establish governance structures for my new project. I don’t know where to start.’
This video is safe for viewing in the workplace.This is learning, so, sit back and enjoy
About Rich Maltzman
Rich Maltzman has been practicing PM for 32 years and is currently a Master Lecturer at Boston University, an author, and a consultant, who provides students and clients with a deep, rich learning experience and/or improved results.
This follows a 40-year career in telecom, mainly in engineering and project management.
Rich is the co-founder of EarthPM, LLC, a company devoted to integrating sustainability thinking into project management. And he served on the Editorial Board for the 7th Edition PMBOK® Guide.
Connect with Rich Maltzman
Rich Maltzman’s Books
- Green Project Management (with Dave Shirley, 2011) – Cleland Award winner
- Project Workflow Management: A Business Process Approach (with Daniel Epstein, 2014)
- Driving Project, Program, and Portfolio Success: The Sustainability Wheel (with Dave Shirley, 2015)
- Bridging the PM Competency Gap (with Loredana Abramo, 2017)
- How to Facilitate Productive Project Planning Meetings (with Jim Stewart, 2018)
What we Discussed
- 00:00 – Agony Angels with Rich Maltzman
- 00:44 – What we will do
- 01:03 – Selecting a question
- 01:21 – The Challenge
- 01:56 – Rich Maltzman: what governance is about
- 03:40 – The elements of governance
- 03:55 – Rich Maltzman’s primary advice
- 04:35 – The first step
- 05:16 – Ways of working and communication
- 06:58 – Roles and Responsibilities
- 08:46 – PRINCE2, Governance, and Gateway Reviews (Stage Gates)
- 10:45 – The Sunk Cost fallacy
- 13:54 – Summary of ideas
- 15:00 – Free tools from the UK Government
- 16:05 – How to get in touch with Rich Maltzman
Carefully curated video recommendations for you:
- What is Project Governance? | Video
- 5 Project Governance Tips | Video
- What are Stage Gates or Gateways? | Video
- How to Run an Effective Stage Gate Review | Video
- What is Sunk Cost? …and the Sunk Cost Fallacy? | Video
…and Recommended Articles
- What has Project Governance Ever Done for Us? [Ans: A Lot]
- How the Stage Gate Process Will Make You a Better Project Manager
What Kit does a Project Manager Need?
I asked Project Managers in a couple of forums what material things you need to have, to do your job as a Project Manager. They responded magnificently. I compiled their answers into a Kit list. I added my own.
Note that the links are affiliated.
Learn Still More
For more great Project Management videos, please subscribe to the OnlinePMCourses YouTube channel.
If you want basic Management Courses – free training hosted on YouTube, with 2 new management lessons a week, check out our sister channel, Management Courses.
For more of our Project Management videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.
For more of our videos in themed collections, join our Free Academy of Project Management.Agony Angels: Setting up Project Governance - with Rich Maltzman Click To Tweet